September 15, 2018
Just like any major appliance, your ductless heating system is prone to a variety of problems. The average lifespan of a heating system is usually up to 20 years with proper maintenance. Over time, your heater breaks down from use and damages, and you may be dealing with more problems if your heating system is nearing the end of its lifespan. It’s best to catch and repair the problems early, as that ensures your heater works effectively. To keep your system working properly, here are a few problems to watch out for.
Warning Signs You Need Ductless Repairs
- Leaking fluids. Your ductless heating should never leak any fluids, but if it is, your heater could be leaking refrigerant. In order to transfer heat throughout your home, your heating system is equipped with refrigerant. Refrigerant is toxic for your health and a heater empty of refrigerant is nothing more than a fan. If your heating system is leaking fluids, it’s time for a repair.
- Ice buildup. Whether it’s in the middle of the summer or in the dead of winter, your system can experience problems. If something is wrong with the air conditioning portion of your ductless system, it will affect your heating. Ice buildup on a system might seem harmless when you’re using the air conditioning, but it’s usually a sign that there’s something wrong with the evaporator coil. A dirty coil prevents your ductless system from functioning properly.
- Lack of efficiency. Starting from day one, your heating system’s efficiency gradually starts to decline. If you start to notice that you’re ductless heating system is cycling more often to keep up with your heating demands, it could be time for a repair.
- Higher utility bills. As your ductless heating system ages, it wears down and loses its efficiency. A ductless heater usually lasts for 20 years with the proper care, but it’s full of components that can break apart from use and needs repair. The older the heater, the longer it runs to keep your house warm which results in higher utility bills.
- Unusual sounds. If you start hearing loud or unusual sounds coming out of your heating system, it could be time for a repair. Inside are several different moving parts, and if damaged, they’ll make noises. Squealing indicates that there could be a problem with the fan motor belt. A hissing sound could mean a refrigerant leak.
- A lack of heat. It sounds obvious, but if you don’t feel any heat coming out of your ductless heating system, it’s in need of urgent repair. The problem could be a clogged air filter or an electrical malfunction. If your ductless system isn’t properly conditioning your home, it’s best to call an HVAC technician.
- Foul smells. If you start to smell something funky coming out of your ductless heating system, the culprit could be somewhere inside the unit. Foul odors could be caused by the evaporator coil clogged with mold or bacteria. The condensate line could also be clogged, and the water in the pan has mildew. Mold is toxic to your health. If the ductless heating system starts to smell, you’ll want to repair it immediately.
- The outdoor unit doesn’t work. Everything inside your house may be functioning fine, but your ductless heating system has an outdoor unit that can wear down as well. If you notice something is off with your outdoor unit, it’s time to call an HVAC technician.
If you are experiencing any of these problems, call Custom Climate today to take advantage of all our ductless mini-split system services in Mount Pleasant!